This lecture, given on Sunday the 3rd July 2022, is concerned with the customs and institutions of paid sex in the Roman World. Subjects covered include:
- “Free” Prostitutes
- Forced prostitution
- Foundlings as prostitutes
- The age of consent in ancient times
- The legal status of prostitutes
- Violence against prostitutes
- Male prostitution
- Castration of male sex slaves
- The price of sexual services
- Erotic art
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Christianity and prostitution
There is a full bibliography at the end.
Note: This lecture deals in an explicit manner with themes that are very controversial and that may give considerable offence. If you believe that you may be offended, please do not watch.