To discuss all things about Sweden and Swedish-related topics, today we spoke with Klaus Bernpaintner, one of Sweden’s best known Misesians. In the podcast we covered the claim from Bernie Sanders that the Scandinavian Model and its high-tax welfare state system is some bastion of socialist perfection. We also spoke about the Sveriges Riksbank, one of the oldest central banks in the world, and its effect on Sweden over time, from its earliest days, including its sponsorship of the ‘Nobel Prize’ for economics. In addition, we covered the recent ‘infection of unspecified origin’ and how that was dealt with so differently in Sweden compared to most other places in the western world. To conclude, we spent some time discussing the two main Mises-leaning websites in Sweden, Mises.SE and Folkungen.SE. Along the way, we also reviewed the recent Folkungating 2023 conference and we briefly mentioned ‘Swexit’, a possible proposed exit of Sweden from the EU.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 2:39 – Discussion on the ‘Scandinavian Model’ of Bernie Sanders
- 4:39 – Is Sweden freer than the United States?
- 6:20 – The open international nature of the Swedish economy
- 7:04 – Alva and Gunnar Myrdal, and the origin of the Swedish welfare state
- 11:50 – The Sveriges Riksbank and its historical influence on Sweden over time
- 17:09 – The Sveriges Riksbank, the Euro, and a digital Krona currency?
- 18:22 – How do people deal with the societal erosion created by the Swedish welfare state?
- 22:51 – Sweden’s policy in dealing with the recent infection of unspecified origin
- 26:07 – The Swedish political response to being denied by law the ability to turn panic into enhanced state power
- 28:04 – Mises.SE and its influence in Sweden
- 29:49 – Folkungen.SE and the Folkungating 2023 conference
- 32:43 – Setting up a Mises-based school in Sweden?
- 34:38 – Might there be a SWEXIT?
- 36:01 – A view on the medium-term and long-term future of Sweden?
- 38:24 – Wrap-up
The Folkungen website:
The Mises Sweden website:
Bernie Sanders on the Scandinavian Model:
The eugenics book by Alva and Gunnar Myrdal, Crisis in the Population Question, which became one of the main seeds of the Scandinavian Model and the modern Swedish high-tax welfare state:
If you liked today’s show, please help us push the message of liberty by liking the video and subscribing to the channel. If you could also push and share this video down your own favourite social media channels, then we can absolutely assure you in all confidence that the Goddess of Liberty will issue you with a Triumph of Honour in Freedom Heaven.